Monday, April 25, 2011

Camping Where the Desert Meets the Ocean, Part 1


Three whole weeks have passed since we went on this camping trip and I cannot believe that neither one of us has made any effort to chronicle the weekend’s events until this point.

Anyway, bright and early at the crack of 12:30 in the afternoon, we set off in our caravan of SUVs with some fellow compound neighbors for adventure on what I like to call the West Coast (I am still humored by the fact that we can drive coast to coast in 1.5 hours).  An hour and a half later we arrived at the small town of Zekreet, and this is when we left the asphalt and was only the beginning. For an additional hour we drove off road through the desert, the terrain was mostly rocky and only sometimes sandy, the truck took a real beating from all the bumps, lucky she is a rental I guess. After driving just long enough for my internal organs to develop an understanding of how a martini shaker feels, we came to a stop and the leader of the convoy got out of his vehicle to explain how we were all going to get down the rather sheer section of rock ahead of us. Having grown up a city boy driving a little two-seater sports car for the last nine years, I had never been introduced to the exciting world of locking hubs and tires lifting off the ground due to a poor center of gravity, so, now I know how cool it is. So in spite of the bumping, jostling, climbing and the goofy ear to ear grin that Emily was making fun of me for, we arrived safely. 

This is how it looked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment