Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Qatar-isms

Three separate reasons have led to my posting another blog update after 6 months of absence, first I have just gone through my camera and I think some of these require sharing, secondly my other half has posted her first blog thingy and I feel I must make an attempt to keep up with her. And last but most important, I am procrastinating my homework. Using the "Force Method" to analyze indeterminate beams and structures is hardly the most riveting thing I have attempted to do today.

So here are just some snapshots of life in Qatar, not so much the glitzy, glamor travel-channel ones you may have seen or heard about. Funny, ironic or just interesting these are some things I just had to stop and photograph.

 At the gas station telling you which way is out.


 Bumper sticker where the "T" fell off at the beginning (these are very popular over here but we haven't figured out where to buy them).


 I just thought this was an awesome truck and for some reason enjoyed the fact that someone in a thobe was driving it, (at the Lulu's of course).


 The papers reported the next day that the remainder of this building collapsed, I just happened to snap this photo while driving past. Also I'm guessing the level sensor has been disabled on the excavator...


 Believe it or not this is a rain cloud. It poured massive amounts of water and I just stood out in it and got soaked, it was the first time it had rained in 8 months. I never thought I could miss rain.


 If you look closely you can see that this is the "Iranian Cultural Center" for some reason I think this is funny. I guess my little American brain imagines people sitting around holding seminars on the culture of theocratic hate and villainy... or something.


 Sheep on a two wheel dolly. My pun loving wife wondered if the sheep was a clone of Scottish origin.


Rental cars, nothin special right.


 I love this, pronounce the "R" when you say it, phonetically it works... kind of.


The latest edition, insert your own comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment